Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Road from Udaipur to Jodhpur via Ranakpur






Chaumukha Jain Temple, Ranakpur


Chaumukha Jain Temple, Ranakpur


Chaumukha Jain Temple, Ranakpur


Carvings on Jain Temple, Ranakpur

I hired a car for my trip and the distance between each city that I visit is about 300km. Each travel day lasts about 6 hours and there is usually an interesting place to stop and take a look. This time it was the Jain temple complex at Ranakpur. Jainism dates itself to the same period as Buddhism. I am told that it is in some ways similar to Hinduism but there seems to be a complex mythology and teaching that would take a lot of time to understand. Even Hinduism is still somewhat of a mystery to me. This is because there is not central god and the people may pray to a selection of the Hindu pantheon. I still find the Hindus some of the nicest people that I have met. Maybe it is just me.

No comments: