Sunday, December 18, 2005

Simon Starling - Turner Prize winner

I got a lovely poem from a lady in St Albans about sheds

Simon Starling won the Turner Prize for a shed that he made into a boat and reconstructed. Is this art? Don't really know but the article in the Gaurdian is a good read and food for thought.

Is what you make art, I ask Simon Starling? "Maybe it isn't," he says disarmingly. "It's art because I trained as an artist." What, then, is the point of being an artist? "Art for me is a free space to explore things. The things I do don't always come out looking like conventional works of art. But then I'm like any artist these days working in relation to a long history of art. I think the press is a long way behind understanding this or responding to art in a sympathetic way. I got a lovely poem from a lady in St Albans about sheds."

No comments: