Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dude! Where is the Ansel Adams Button?

I love the title of this article by Pete Myers on the state of digital photography. I am not sure if I agree with what he says, but it gives me food for thought.

In a nutshell, I think that Myers is saying that the digital technology is stabilizing and that people are finding out that images are made by artists, not the technology. So, the average aunt or uncle will be happy with their snaps, and the more serious semi-pros and pros have to dig deeper to improve their work. I sincerely hope so. But sometimes I look at the whole world situation, where everything is going faster and people prefer soundbites to actual news or images should be pretty, not illuminating. Then I realize that modern life is pretty superficial. After reading ' In praise of slow', I think that we need a more major perspective change. The world needs to appreciate the quality of live, instead of quantity, before superficial gloss is recognized as empty and unfulfilling.

Article

No comments: