Saturday, April 22, 2006

Notes to myself



1. Being Mr. Nice does not actually get you anywhere unless your ambition in life is to be a doormat. Being the bastard is no good too, gives you ulcers. If someone takes advantage of you once, its that person's fault. If that person takes advantage of you a second time, it your own fault. When someone gives you shit, disengage. You have to stand your ground or people will roll over you for no good reason.

2. You have to be your own fan club. Everyone else who is going to achieve anything, wants to be achieving something and will want people noticing them. (Thus the blog, yeah, yeah, yeah.) You don't have to shove yourself down other people's throats like spam or junk mail, but you have to put your best foot forward and find ways to let people know you exist. My friend Wesley says that a second rate photographer with first class PR will be more successful than a first rate photographer with second rate PR anyday. True.

3. Appreciate the people that help you. I am doing so much of the dirty work at Paul's studio but it is an incredible feeling when they say 'Thank you Heng'. I feel that I am part of the team. I guess we all underestimate the power of a kind word or gesture. Continuing on that theme, Thank you to all of you out there who have been reading the blog and responding to it. It really has my struggle seem more worth it.

4. Music is a powerful mood enhancing tool. So is expresso for me but I already knew that. ;) Some of the new music that has been really blowing my mind is


Artists - Album
Air - Talkie Walkie
The Album Leaf - In a safe Place
Elbow - Leaders of The Free World
Kanye West - Late Registration
Manu Chao - Proxima Eastacion: Esperanza
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois


5. Better late than never. I was a late starter in my studies, a late starter in dance, a late starter in relationships, a late starter in photography. So I am late, but I have something I enjoy pursuing.

6. Don't hang with people that take your energy and time but give you nothing in return. It is not a value judgment on other people, it is a priority judgment in a world with too few hours to do everything you want. Especially for someone who is a late starter like me. I have said it before, I will say it again. There are enough real problems occurring when pursuing your goals, don't get bogged down with inconsequential issues and petty prejudices. Its tiring. If you have time, spend it with your parents and loved ones. If there are family problems, sort it out. Family problems are the type of problems that you cannot deny. You have to come to terms with it or it will sap your energy too. I am thankful that I have a great family, and I am not just saying that because I know my family reads this blog. :)

7. Believe in yourself. Believe that you deserve to succeed so that when it happens you won't reject it.

8. Go at your own pace. It is not in my nature to be a beach bum. I don't think that it is in my nature to be as driven as someone like Paul. So pace yourself to be productive in the long run.

9. Find good people to work with. No man is an island. Rambo does not exist in real life. Find people you click with and build a relationship.

10. Be generous, but not blindly so. When you are generous and it reaches the right people, it will come back to you. I believe in Karma.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, just came by after my last time. If I don't visit as often it's because it's nice to know that this blog exist but not be obsessed with it that I have to visit everyday. I do have a friend's whose blog is so addictive I told her one day I was her 'stalker". After which I went cold turkey and don't read it anymore.

Wise words from you that I will remember.

From someone who struggles to be true to himself everyday. Fighting the good fight I say.

Da Froggie said...

Good notes to oneself....

I guess it is time I take stock of my life too.

Hope you are doing ok in Chicago.

Take care...

Edwin

Heng said...

I am doing fine in Chicago. Although there are still cold snaps in the weather.

I realised though that I am interning with one of my heroes. I guess that I am very lucky to be here. I really love his photographs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Take care.