Friday, June 20, 2008

Click here to disappear: thoughts on images and democracy | openDemocracy

Click here to disappear: thoughts on images and democracy | openDemocracy

I read this article in Aperture and then found it on the net. It is a fine piece of critical thinking, something that is missing from our image consumption as well as our image creation. We have let go depth for an overwhelming mass of superficial images.

As I continue along my photographic path, I reconsider the worth of what I take and what it means. I also consider how images are consumed. And is it possible to regain the discerning eye of the masses. Maybe that discerning eye was never there and as a race we tend to move towards an instant gratification, insulating from the effort of meaningful discourse, the responsibility of having a social conscience.

No comments: